3 Sustainable Money-Saving Swaps
There’s a misconception that saving money and making environmentally friendly choices are opposites. This is often fueled by the portrayal of zero-waste lifestyles in media – the pantries filled with matching glass jars of food and expensive “green” alternatives to replace everyday items. Luckily, you can start living a more Earth-conscious lifestyle without spending a fortune – in fact it’s probably better for the planet.
Think about these principles as you make your plan to spend less and reduce your impact on the Earth:
- Use and Re-use What You Already Have What you need might already be in your home; no online order or trip to the store required.
- Care for and Repair as Much as Possible Increasing the lifespan of our stuff saves money and decreases waste.
- Buy Less and More Thoughtfully Avoid impulse purchases and look for alternatives to buying new.
3 Swaps You Can Make Today:
Borrow and Rent Instead of Buy
If you only need something for a short period of time or will only use it once, the cost to buy and store it may outweigh its actual benefit to you. Instead, see if there are alternatives that are lower cost.
Here are a few ideas:
- Check if your local library has the book you want to read
- Ask a friend if you can borrow a tool for your DIY project.
- Rent formal attire for special events.
Not only will you save money, but sharing with others also reduces consumption and waste.
Reusables instead of Disposables
Continually buying single-use items meant to be thrown away is costly, not only for our wallets but also for the environment. Replacing them with durable items that can be used over and over again pays for itself over time.
Here are a few ideas:
- Rechargeable batteries
- Reusable snack and sandwich bags
- Washable towels, napkins and rags instead of paper towels
- Beeswax food wraps instead of plastic wrap
- Silicon baking mats instead of aluminum foil and parchment paper
- Traditional safety razor instead of disposable plastic razors
- Reusable makeup rounds instead of makeup wipes and cotton pads
Digital Instead of Paper
Saving the trees isn’t the only reason you should consider going digital. There are significant savings to take advantage of too. Storing your files digitally can also make them easier to find when you need them.
- Many companies offer discounts when you opt for your bills and statements to be delivered online.
- You don’t need to worry about the cost of postage, printer ink, paper or storage solutions for all those documents.
We hope these swaps inspire you to save money while helping the Earth.